Thursday 24 November 2016

A Woman's Confidence in Herself

So I happened to be going through the different Snapchat channels today, and I came across this quote which really made me reflect.


To people who are very confident about themselves, this quote may come as a surprise. If any of you guys belong in that happy category, congratulations to you :) However, I'm sure most of us can relate to the quote above. While people do pass compliments very often, I feel like not everyone receiving those compliments know how to react to them. I myself have had those sort of moments, where I either stammer out a "thank you" which sounds half-hearted due to my nervousness, or I end up asking "really?" in disbelief, as if I think that the entire world is out to be sarcastic with me.

The question is, WHY do we get nervous when, after all, people complimenting us (genuinely anyway) are saying nice things about us? It should be something to feel happy about, in fact.

The answer to that bewildering question is quite simple. We're all afraid to wholeheartedly accept compliments or agree with them for fear of being viewed as vain or conceited. And who can blame us? Most of us tend to have a tendency to consider people to be a little bit "full of themselves" when they accept compliments happily. I myself am guilty of that too.

So how do we solve this problem? How do we accept compliments wholeheartedly and manage to not look conceited at the same time?

It all really lies in how we go about accepting the compliments, really. If you're going be all Mean Girl-y and say "I know I am! :D" with a proud smirk on your face when complimented, then don't be surprised if you get snubbed for being vain. I think the easiest way to accept compliments is to say "Thank You! :)" or some variation of that with a genuine smile. Show people that you appreciate their compliment! If you can, toss a compliment back to whoever compliments you too! That would really work in showing people that you care about other people and that basically you're not "full of yourself".

There's actually another interesting question to consider. Why reply to compliments anyway? If we're going to get judged for how we reply, then why bother replying? It doesn't matter.

Or does it?

To be honest, I think it is pretty important to reply to a compliment. After all, people just genuinely praised you / said something nice about you. And sometimes they do so with some serious feels, or just really do mean the compliment and want you to feel happy. Some of our quieter friends who get nervous speaking out in front of a big group of people might have even crept out of their comfort zone just to pay you that compliment. If that's the case, they might feel hurt, unappreciated or even offended (or some combination of these) when you don't show that you appreciate the compliment they just paid you.

If you are really tired / your mouth is full of food / you just can't talk or something, just give a bright, genuine smile to whoever compliments you. They'll understand. :)

Basically, to sum everything up, there's no need to feel guilty whenever people praise you for being intelligent / talented / beautiful / you :) Feel free to express your gratitude & appreciation, and don't hesitate to return the compliment when you can! :)

Have a great day guys! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment